(504) 571-9529

How to Register as a Sex Offender in Louisiana

Posted on by Townsend Myers

If you are a sex offender, and you are looking to move into Louisiana, there are important steps you must take when you move. First, you need to notify the Louisiana Bureau of Criminal Identification right away when you move into the state. The current rule is that you need to do this within your first three days as a resident.

Initial Registration

The first thing you must do is register with the parish sheriff or police department where you will live, work, and go to school. You must also register with the chief of police if your address is located in an area with a local police department. You need to visit the right law enforcement agency within three days of moving to the state. You have to do this in person. A sex crimes attorney can help you with this process if needed.

Listed below are the items that you will need to bring with you when you register with the local authorities or a sex crimes attorney:

  • Your full name and any other names you may have used in the past
  • The address where you will be living
  • Your work address, along with the route you will take to get to work each day
  • Your school information (if you attend one)
  • Information about your conviction and crime
  • Your fingerprints, palm prints, and photograph
  • A telephone number where you can be reached
  • Complete information about any vehicles you’ll drive in the area
  • Personal identification, including your driver’s license and social security card
  • Your email address and any screen names or online aliases

Community Notification

Within 21 days of your arrival in Louisiana, you’ll need to notify the community of your status. You need to share all of the relevant information, including your name, address, personal description, and photograph. A sex crimes attorney can help you stay on the right side of this law and help you determine who you need to notify.

For more information or to speak directly with a sex crimes attorney, call my office.



Lawyer in New Orleans Municipal Court

Mardi Gras Do’s and Dont’s: Traffic and Municipal Court

Blog Categories


Our Newsletter